This week has been a pretty special week for us. First of all, we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary on August 2nd. It’s hard to believe that its only been 2 years since we said our “I do’s” as I feel we have experienced so much during that time. I feel I have grown more as a person in the last 2 years than the 5 years prior and learned so much more about the person I want to be in the future. I am so lucky to have the most amazing husband by my side who supports me in all my crazy ideas, like moving half-way across the country in order to explore new opportunities. I know that the next few years will be some of the most rewarding and life-changing years of our life as we continue to journey on this crazy adventure called life together. Love you, Devan! xo
Not only did we celebrate our wedding anniversary, but we got the chance to take a trip back to my hometown of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to visit some of our closest friends and the new addition to their little family. Back in July, we had the opportunity to meet little Elle when she was just a few weeks old, but it’s amazing how much can change in just a few short weeks. She’s now bright-eyed, smiling and stronger than ever, ready to crawl away and start causing trouble! We absolutely love her to bits! I mean, how could you not? Look at that face!!!!
Seeing Trish and Connor, their beautiful baby girl, Elle and their golden retriever, Tucker, was made all the more special when Trish and Connor gave us the honour and privilege of becoming “Guideparents”. What are Guideparents you ask? Don’t you mean Godparents? Well since none of us practice any particular religion, Godparent really wasn’t an appropriate term to use. A Godparent is essentially someone who presents the child at baptism and promises to take responsibility for the child’s religious education. Since that won’t really apply to Elle, Trish and Connor came up with a great idea of choosing Guideparents rather than Godparents. Someone to help guide her through life and essentially act as a positive mentor, instilling good morals as she grows as a person.
Devan and I are SO excited to be given this opportunity. Becoming Guideparents is not only a privilege but a big responsibility, left only to those who you absolutely trust and love. They say it takes a village to raise a child and we hope to contribute to Elle’s life in any way we can, ensuring that she loved and supported and is given all the necessary tools to succeed in life. I am so looking forward to watching her grow, seeing her take her first steps, saying her first words, celebrating her first birthday and watching Trish and Connor be the proud parents they are as they go through the milestones of life as a family. This little girl has so many people who truly love and want the best for her, so there is no doubt in my mind that she will be successful in life. Not to mention she has the most amazing, caring, loving parents in the world.
So as a Guideparent, I decided to make a list of all the ways I hope to support Trish and Connor and enrich this little girls life, to the best of my ability. Sort of my “Guideparent Bucket List” so Elle will always know we have her back!
Guideparents Bucket List – 20 Promises to Elle
- love you to the moon and back
- feed, clothe, protect as needed and ensure that you always have all of the basic necessities of life
- foster you as you grow and battle through life’s struggles and criticisms
- give advice when asked, and sometimes when not asked if I think its necessary
- teach you to be a strong, independent, opinionated woman
- teach you to love harder, breathe deeper and think smarter
- encourage open-mindedness and a sense of adventure
- teach you laugh often and live well
- encourage you to never be afraid to take a risk or to challenge yourself in the face of adversity
- embody a true sense of individualism and exemplify a justice-minded life
- impart the importance of a good education and teach you that you can be anything you want to be
- persuade you to listen to your parents – one day you will realize they were right
- motivate you to take care of yourself, mind, body and soul
- urge you to travel, long and far
- boost your confidence and raise up your spirits
- reassure you when you worry and pick you up when you’re down
- inspire you to be the best you can be
- teach you dream big
- encourage you to explore the unexplored
- incite the fire inside you, the force that drives you and the dreams that inspire you
Thanks Trish and Connor for making us feel so special! 🙂