Do you ever just get the feeling that you don’t have enough time? Not enough days in a year, not enough hours in a day, not enough seconds in a minute? I certainly do. I feel like there are so many things I want to accomplish in my lifetime, but there’s not enough time to do it all. Bucket lists are a great way to prioritize and categorize the things you want to accomplish. For instance, are there things you want to accomplish before you turn a certain age? How about things you want to accomplish before you get married? before you buy a house?
I have a number of bucket lists going on in my head and on paper. One of them is my before baby bucket list. Devan and I will be married for 2 years this August, and we would love to start a family one day. However, before we do that there are a number of things we both want to accomplish individually and as a couple. That doesn’t mean that plans can’t change, and we’ll be unable to accomplish some of these things after we start a family, but it’s something I like to keep in mind and check-in on every so often to see where I stand.
Before Baby Bucket List
- Visit 30 countries by the age of 30. I was a little slow to start on this one considering I spent 7 years in school, but I’m definitely trying to make up for it now by seeing as much of this beautiful world as I can.
- Pay off my student loan debt. Those pesky, damn student loans can certainly hinder your plans, but I’m well on track to getting rid of them as soon as I can.
- Sky diving in New Zealand or Australia. This is something I’ve been a little weary about over the years. I want to do it so bad but I am absolutely terrified. Still, it’s something I’d like to accomplish before I decided I’m ready to be a mom.
- Hot air balloon ride over somewhere awesome like Africa or Turkey.
- Buy a house. I’ve been a little nomadic over the past 6 years. It must have something to do with my gypsy blood. But one day, when we’ve decided where we would like to settle down for an extended period of time, this will be a become a priority.
- Go on an African Safari. Considering the cost and the time it takes to get to Africa, this is definitely something I’d like to do pre-baby.
- Hike part of the Trans Canada Trail. Preferably a section on the East Coast near St. John’s or Labrador.
- Explore more of my own country. Canada is such an amazing and beautiful country and I’ve spent quite a bit of time exploring the west coast and central Canada, so now it’s time to explore the east coast.
- Start my own business. I have a lot of crazy ideas, it’s just a matter of choosing one and seeing it through.
- Start my own blog… check! 🙂
I think the important thing to keep in mind with bucket lists is they are a guideline, not a rule book. It’s more important to keep focused on the road ahead of you, rather than your destination. If you don’t accomplish everything in your time frame, it’s OK! But it’s always good to have lists like these so you can refer back to them and see how much you are really pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone.
What are some of the things you have on your bucket list? or what types of bucket lists do you refer back to every so often? I’d love to hear your ideas!